Saturday, June 2, 2007

Work/Home Clash

I took this picture last weekend when we were eating Mexican food. Q likes Mexican just like his mama.

T and I work together, which generally works pretty well for us. We haven't always worked together. We have always worked in the same industry, and when we moved here we started to work at the same place.

As I said, it generally works well. We only overlap five hours at work and genuinely share the same passion for our work and understand the other's struggles and annoyances. Sometimes however, it tends to take over our lives. While other people leave their job and go home to their family life, T's and mine is intertwined. We talk about work at home and home at work. T brings Q into work in the evening, and Q has spent a few long nights in the newsroom with his parents. I get work calls in the morning when I am trying to have time with Q, and T and I often do work-related things on the weekend.

It was all driving me a little batty this morning. I was scheduling my day to pick up my mom from the airport in early afternoon. Then I got a call from work telling me I was going to have extra responsibilities today. I also had to make other work calls to set up an interview for later in the day. T ended up picking up my mom for me, so I could actually have a little personal time to run on the treadmill and feed Q.

It was making me mad! I give enough of myself to work. It shouldn't take over my life. Good thing it is the weekend.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment