Sunday, June 24, 2007

Misdiagnosis

So it wasn't a tonsil stone. My self-diagnosing did not turn out to be correct. However, following the infallible online medical advice, I attempted to dislodge my "tonsil stone" on Thursday night. T held the flashlight while I jabbed at it with a thermometer. My tonsil started bleeding, and it was quite painful. Oops.

I had a fever that night and was very sore and uncomfortable. I ended up sleeping on the floor. The next day,I slept in a bit, and then went to one of those walk-in medical places. I had to wait for awhile with Q. Then T came to pick him up and take him to daycare.

It turns out I have tonsillitis. Unfortunately, it seems to be caused by a virus, so I can't take antibiotics or anything to knock it out. I just have to wait for my immune system to tackle it. It certainly seems to be taking its time. I am taking ibuprofen every three hours. She offered me some steroids, but said they could make me aggressive, depressed, or really mess with my sleep. I passed.

Both tonsils are now white-spotted, gross-looking, and extremely sore. It hurts to swallow anything. I have a wedding next weekend, so I am hoping my sickness is out of my body by them. It's no fun being sick.

--MM

6 comments:

  1. It's perfectly okay to diagnose oneself on webmd, but you are not supposed to perform surgery based on such diagnosis! I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, that last comment was from me - somehow it shows me as anonymous - didn't want to creep you out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You HAVE to be better by the wedding!! It just won't be the same if you're sick! Only 5 more days....can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. So sorry you are sick. That is no fun, especially this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got bitten (hard) by a cat at the last clinic and just diagnosed myself with infection (can't spell it). Causes death - now am feeling queasy. Darn Webmd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just don't self-amputate or anything!

    I am actually feeling pretty decent today. I had this crazy blister last night, but I won't go into detail because the whole situation is getting pretty gross. You all know far more about my glands than you probably ever wanted to!
    --MM

    ReplyDelete