Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Re: moms

Moms have a funny effect on us don't they? Here I am, a married mother myself, in my late 20's. I haven't lived at home since I was 18, yet, when my mom comes to town, we regress to the old mother-daughter relationship. I still kind of hope she will make me dinner and ask me how I am feeling. I feel myself whine a little bit more and revert into my 16-year-old self.

Still, I also resist her urge to go maintain control. She is an interior designer, and I love her expertise at suggesting the best paint colors and furniture. I found myself annoyed though when I returned home tonight to find my living room furniture rearranged. I intend to put it back after she leaves to retain control. She has also been questioning whether I feed Q enough. Is that not the classic mom-ism? I don't think he is danger of starving. No need to call DHS.

I find she still has the power to greatly influence my self-esteem. This weekend, I felt her examining the side of my face. "You're getting those sun spots much worse now, aren't you?" Hey thanks mom. Now I feel like a dappled beast. But, if she tells me I look pretty, I feel like I won a coveted prize.

Yet, lest you think I don't appreciate the loving parents I have, I know how lucky I am. My mom, and dad for that matter, have given my financial and emotional support my entire life. The encouraged me to go to whichever college I wanted to, helped me move across the country more than once, and often volunteer to fly me and T home.

It's just funny the power a mom can have even when you are far out of the nest. I love my parents and am so glad to have them. I also am glad to live an airplane flight away.

--MM

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya sista!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we'll be like that too someday with our children :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's just the way it goes. I can't wait to be a grown-up mom.

    ReplyDelete