Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Mayhem

It has been a crazy day. It didn't start out that way. The morning was calm. Q was wonderful and slept in so his mama could too. I actually fell asleep on the couch last night with my makeup on, contacts in, and teeth unbrushed. That is not good considering I ate 7,000 Icebreakers Sours yesterday, as I mentioned before. My teeth were achy this morning. I hate that! I did feel nice and refreshed though from getting a full night's sleep.

The mayhem erupted at work. We were all tapping happily away at our computers around 3:30, when the power went out. And stayed out. That is a huge problem when you work at a television station. We all sort of sat around looking at each other for while. It turned out a semi towing an RV clipped a power line knocking it down into the road not far from our station.

Everything was back on line about an hour after the accident, and we were scrambling to get our newscast on the air at 5:00.

Then as we were still recovering from that madness, a giant fire broke outat 5:30. The six-alarm fire destroyed an entire strip mall. We were watching the tall flames and column of black smoke from the roof of our building. We will have two people live at the scene for tonight's 11:00 newscast.

Crazy, crazy day. My adrenaline is still surging.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. Wow....nothing like flying by the seat of your pants to keep you alert. My buddy remains in the hospital, so it looks like I'm zoo run director indefinitely. Which means I have to figure out a way to pick up equipment, mark course, etc. etc. as fast as possible after sneaking out of work as close to 5 as possible. It's not a fire, but nothing like throwing these together on the fly.

    ReplyDelete