Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A little patience

I am not by nature a patient person. I am just about the opposite of a procrastinator. If I have something to do, I am obsessed about it until I get it done. I'm sure I am the type of person who drives other people crazy. I know that is true for my husband half the time, but it is just how I tick.

Right now the new baby's diapers are in place, his going home outfit is folded on his changing table, and all his tiny clothes are hung up in his closet. I have everything in place for a new baby in the house, except the new baby.

I have been expecting to give birth early for eight months, so now that I am nearing full-term, I am antsy. I know that fate will mock me by having the baby arrive two weeks late or something. I over-analyze every twinge, cramp, and contraction. Last time, I thought nothing of them, and all of the sudden, Q arrived. This time I feel every day go by in slow motion and look at my ginormous belly and wonder how long it will be there. I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow, although those reveal few clues about when to expect delivery day. I wish she could just say, "You will go into labor next Tuesday at 10:43 p.m." That would make it much easier to plan.

All that said, I will force myself to be patient. I talked to a woman from my mom's group who is due this week. She is getting induced on Friday, not for any real reason, but just to have control I guess. I can completely understand the desire for power over what is happening to your body, but I think we should resist that urge and let nature take its course. I think the epidemic of women getting induced and scheduling c-sections is appalling. That makes birth so complicated. Why not just let nature take its course? That is what I will do, and I plan to resist all efforts to induce labor or speed it along unless absolutely necessary. I will wait as patiently as possible, though I do wish things would hurry up a bit in there.

--MM

2 comments:

  1. Ha! As patiently as possible? You owe the baby delivery kharma universe 6 weeks from last time, so hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the best plan. Wait until he (and your body!) are ready. But, gah!, the anticipation...

    ReplyDelete