Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Employee of the month

Yes, that is me. After working here for almost five years, the honor has finally been bestowed upon me. If you would like my opinion, I deserved it far earlier in my tenure.

I didn't make the meeting in which my accolades were handed down, so I missed my chance to deliver an acceptance speech, which I have had prepared for four-and-a-half years. I will be enjoying my prime parking place for the next 26 days however.

I was basking in the glow of my achievement, when I learned my husband T nominated me. Boo. That doesn't even seem to count. The only thing worse is if my mom would have written in a nomination. The news has tarnished my glory somewhat. Sigh. I guess it is better that I not let me head swell too much anyway.

---------------------

This weekend, we watched Ricki Lake's documentary The Business of Being Born. I had been waiting to see it, as the topic is very interesting to me. It discusses how birth has become very medical and financially motivated. It asserts women in the United States are encouraged to use many drugs during birth and opt for a Cesarean section. It shows doctors as often in control of births rather than mothers.

I feel like I know much more during this pregnancy and hope that my birth will be different. I want to stay in control of how it progresses and avoid as many interventions as possible. This weekend I will be working on a birth plan to outline my preferences. I highly recommend the movie, if it is an area you are interested in.

--MM

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! well deserved no matter who nominated you. The film sounds interesting - you know how I'm all about evil health care conspiracies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Regardless of who nominated you, everyone else still voted and agreed you were cream of the crop! Way to go! What perfect timing for the prime parking spot as I'm sure walks to the car are seeming longer and longer these days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's sweet that he nominated you! Of course, maybe he just didn't want to hear you complain anymore about having to waddle so far from your parking space... :) Anyhow, it's well-deserved. And, wth took them so long?

    ReplyDelete