Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Disaster afternoon

First a flossing update. I was shamed into flossing this morning. I think if I do it in the a.m., I am more likely to stick to it. We'll see how that goes.

I actually saw an interesting story about how dentists were treating pregnant mothers to prevent dental disease in their unborn babies. Apparently, if bacteria is not treated in the pregnant women, it can be transmitted to their babies. Interesting, huh? So, I am biting the bullet and the dental floss.

I had a disastrous afternoon. It was just almost too much. First of all, I am ridiculously uncomfortable right now. Giving birth at 34 weeks is preferable in some ways. You don't go through this horribly awkward ninth month. The baby seems to be hammering into my bladder. My tail bone and entire pelvis feel awkward and achy. My maternity clothes are not fitting well any more, and I feel like I waddle. I can't sleep well and am constantly, utterly tired. I just felt horrible today. I had cramping and contractions all through the night and woke up in my present state. What is going on in there? I wish I knew.

Anyway, that is the background upon which my disastrous afternoon played out. Ruby the dachshund had to get her stitches out, so I packed Q in his stroller and Ruby in her carrier, and we set off to the vet. I waddled into the office with my hands extremely full. It was a mercifully short visit, and we waddled back to the car.

The true horror came after lunch. Q rejected most of his yogurt and bread, and I released him from his high chair, and I tried to finish my own lunch. He stood up on the couch, and I saw that his bib was still on him. I said, "Can I have your bib?" Of course being the obstinate child he is, he shook his head and backed up. In slow motion, he tumbled to the ground, bonking his head on the wood.

He started wailing, and I quickly waddled over the scoop him up. It seemed to just be a mild bump, but he still had remnants of his lunch in his mouth and started choking a bit. That's when it happened. He unleashed a torrent of sour, partially-digested yogurt, fruit, and milk. It splashed over both of us and across the floor in an acidic fountain.

I put him down and waddled to get the paper towels, but Ruby was already quickly in action lapping it up. My stomach turned even more. I tracked toddler barf all over the house in my bare feet as Q stood by screaming.

I grabbed Q, called T and asked him to please come home and help me through this madness. I had to strip and wash Q and myself, even though I was already in my work clothes. The vomity clothes went into the washer. By the time T arrived, Ruby had helpfully cleaned up most of the vomit.

I managed to be only eight minutes late to work.

Oh, imagine the fun when there are two of them to barf on me!

--MM

3 comments:

  1. but that's why you have a dog - clean up patrol! Sounds like, at this point, labor and delivery are going to be like a vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sour yogurt barf is the yuckiest. Ugh.

    The dog thing is kinda gross, too... but at least it saved you a little work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol. that has been our life the last week or so. My big man (19 months) has some stomach thing and just keeps randomly barfing. he seems fine, but then will throw up. When I was pregnant my gag reflex was such that I would never have been able to deal. Good for you for not hurling along with him!!! (and i still can't even think about the dog)

    ReplyDelete