Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sick boy

Last night when I got home, I put my hand on Q's back and could tell he was burning hot through the fabric of his pajamas. I touched his cheek, and it was also baking. He was waking up a bit so I took his temperature. Poor little thing had a fever of 102.3. I gave him some Tylenol and a drink of water. T was surprised when he came home from an errand to find Q sitting next to me on the couch. Today Q was snotty and congested and still feverish but not too bad. Man, those sicknesses can come on fast in babies!

We made it to swim lessons this morning, because he seemed okay. I saw this perfect-looking pregnant woman swimming laps and cursed her. Is she trying to make me feel bad?

My doctor's nurse called me yesterday and told me I do not have gestational diabetes, but I am anemic. I am a vegetarian, so that is always a struggle for me anyway, but it is especially common during pregnancy with all the extra blood in your body. So, now I am taking super duper iron tablets.

I am feeling a little sluggish and down lately. I think I am at the stage in my pregnancy where it still seems so far off, but I am still uncomfortable and anxious. I am excited for the baby to come, but I am much clearer this time on how challenging it all is, so there is none of the fairy tale excitement.

I know I will probably take a short maternity leave, and I feel a lot of pressure to do so, and then I know it will just be back to the work grind, just even harder than before. I am having a hard time getting myself enthused about that. T has some exciting changes headed his way career-wise, but I don't, and it's depressing me a bit. I always tell my friends who are trying to have a baby that it doesn't fix everything. It certainly is a nice addition, but you still have your old struggles and worries, just with another layer of complication.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. you could always get another dog for a change! Kidding - you have enough going on. I hope Q feels better.

    ReplyDelete