Monday, January 7, 2008

Can you hear me now?

Q had a hearing test today to rule out any problems. The Early Intervention folks recommended it just to make sure that is not the issue. We were pretty sure he could hear fine, because he can hear barking at two miles and identify "doggie!"

The test was interesting. Q had to sit in a high chair in a sound booth, and I had to hold his attention. Then the audiologist would speak to him through speakers on either side of his head. He would then turn to where the sound was coming from and a cartoon would pop up on a small television screen causing Q to squeal in excitement. I was then to get his attention back to the center, so he could be tested again.

The problem is Q is a very loud child. He constantly babbles and bangs his toys and squeals and yells. Some of the more subtle sounds he had no chance of hearing, because he just drowned them out. Goofy little guy.

The audiologist then tried to put this little sensor in his ear, but Q was having no part of that. He kept squirming and yanking it out, despite our desperate attempts to distract him with plastic dinosaurs and bubbles.

She finally decided he was probably perfectly fine, but we should come back in May when he is a bit older and calmer to do a more thorough test. We'll see if he is really calmer.

I swam 45 minutes in the pool last night. I could barely stretch one of my one-piece swimsuits over my balloon belly. It was very nice and peaceful and easy on my hips. I will have to do that more often.

--MM

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you'll have to bring him back when he's calmer -- like in 20years or so?! Glad to hear he "passed." I need to start swimming again - I was last year when I was thinking about a tri. Now, it would go a long way toward obeying the doc's "no running" order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David did the same thing for his first hearing test. Little rascal. We did go back about 8 months later and he was much better at taking direction, lol.

    ReplyDelete