Sunday, January 20, 2008

Packers bummer

Not exactly how I was hoping the season would end. That was a tough game to watch. It also looked painfully cold. I have been to two Packers games at Lambeau Field, and they were both frigid, but probably still warmer than it was today. I distinctly remember nursing a cold, sitting on the iced-over metal bleachers, and going through an entire box of Kleenex. But I was there, and you don't get that chance often, so you appreciate it when you do. Anyway, it was still a season to be proud of. We'll see what Favre decides to do next.

I swam again today. It felt nice and relaxing but very solitary. There is nothing to look at to distract you. I don't think I could do it every day, but once a week is just right. I ran into a lady who comes to my classes frequently on the way out. She is generally a nice woman, but for some reason pregnancy attracts criticism and rudeness. She asked why I was exercising two days in a row and asked if my exercising during the last pregnancy caused Q's premature birth. I wanted to say, "No actually, it was my vegetarianism," because people also assume that. This woman struggles with her weight and her health, so why does she feel the need to dish out health advice to me? After questioning my choice to go back to work after the baby was born, we went our separate ways with me fuming. Why do these ignorant people bother me so much? I just have to brush it off and know I am doing the right thing for my baby, my body, and my sanity.

We had a great quick meal tonight while we were watching football, and I wanted to share it with you. It can be vegetarian or meat-eating. Your choice.

Spinach and pesto meatball soup

8 ounces (or more) frozen Italian-style meatballs (here I used the vegetarian soy meatballs which are quite tasty)
2 14.5 ounce cans diced Italian-style diced tomatoes
15 ounce can cannellini (also called white or navy) beans
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup prepared pesto
2 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan

Combine first five ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer ten minutes. Stir in spinach and let wilt for a minute or two. Serve soup topped with Parmesan.

It was a very quick recipe and quite tasty with crusty bread on the side. T even loved it with the faux meatballs, and it is much healthier that way.

--MM

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! I hear you - I was watching the sad, sad game at Bennigans w/ buddies. Not my choice of places - not many decent food options. anyway, one (somewhat overweight/does not exercise) guy lectured me for 10 minutes on how vegetarianism is unhealthy - as he crammed fried chicken wings in his piehole. I just watched the game and invited him to train for my next marathon with me. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that sounds delicious... although I made an absolutely not-vegetarian lasagna for dinner tonight.

    And that game looked absolutely miserable. Everyone's faces were a horrible shiny red from the cold. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete