Thursday, January 10, 2008

Serene birth, maybe?

My birth experience with Q did not exactly go as planned. My water broke at 34 weeks, or rather slowly leaked out, so I didn't even realize what was going on until a day later. At that point, the doctor wanted to speed things up to reduce the chance of infection.

I felt wonderful through the first few hours of labor, but then when I got a double-dose of pitocin, the contractions were pretty excruciating. I got an epidural, and Q came shortly after. I was glad to avoid a Cesarean section but had hoped for a bit more of a peaceful experience. I am not talking silent Scientologist birth, but just something a bit more enjoyable.

This time around, I am dabbling in the idea of hypnobirthing. The idea is to reduce the fear associated with giving birth and thereby reduce the pain. A part of me is still skeptical and open to an epidural, but I think it is worth a try. I am now reading the book and looking into classes. I'll let you know how it goes.

I had my prenatal appointment and ultrasound today and did my glucose test and two tests to check for premature labor. One involved the curling iron device I mentioned in a previous post. It still wasn't enjoyable, but at least I knew what was coming this time. Everything is right where it should be.

My hips and pelvis have still been aching continuously. I complained to my doctor today, and she referred me to a physical therapist. Hopefully that will help things. You'd think after millions of years this would all be simpler.

--MM

7 comments:

  1. That's why we need more female docs/research scientists...then it would be easier. I still vote for the scifi silent birth. Just cause I don't have to try it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the Hypnobabies program. I had to go with the home study because there weren't any local instructors... but I loved it. I still have all the home study materials if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that the same as hypnobirthing? I'd love to hear how it went for you. I have a book and a CD. Did you have more than that? There are classes in the Applegate, but I don't think I will be able to make them.
    Thanks for your input.
    --MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same idea, slightly different execution. There are more materials/CD's to use for preparation. Check it out here: http://www.hypnobabies.com/home.php The home study course materials are listed in the column on the left.

    My favorite part was how it gave me a great sense of relaxation and empowerment. If I had it to do over again, I would have hired a doula or found a more supportive birth partner who also understands the program. I would study it again even if I knew I was going to have a c-section. The benefits go beyond the birth itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,
    I'd love to borrow your materials if you wouldn't mind. I'd return them in case you ever change your mind. ;) That program seems easier to do at home on your own then hypnobirthing. I am reading the book, and it continuously refers to the classes.
    Did it work out the way you planned? Did you have a c-section?
    --MM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, no problem! The materials are easy to follow. I did end up with a c-section (I let my doctor talk me into an induction that I absolutely didn't need -- and it didn't work), but the hypnosis helped a lot for the 30 hours of labor leading up to it. I think hypnosis is one of those things that works if you allow it to and put the effort into it. There's also a lot of online support, if you're interested in joining a group. It's becoming a lot more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh... just email me and I can get that stuff to you.

    ReplyDelete