Thursday, January 17, 2008

Chastity belts

I am doing a lot better today. I think I got through my glum period. I hate those! It's hard to remember that they are just temporary. When I am in the midst of them I think, My life sucks. I want to quit my job and stay home all day and eat Cheetos. Well, that last part is true, but today at least I don't feel like quitting my job.

I went to see the physical therapist this morning for my achy hip problem. My hips felt pretty good actually. They usually feel worse toward the middle and the end of the day, so I worried I wasn't going to give an accurate portrayal of my pain.

They ushered me into this room with pictures of bladders. pelvises, and prolapsed organs. I patiently waited. The PT came in, glanced at me and my large belly, and said, "Oh this has to be wrong." She went and checked something, retrieved me and took me to another room with pictures of muscles on the walls. Apparently, I had been color-coded in the system as suffering from incontinence. While this is not extremely far from the truth with a swollen uterus pressing on my bladder, it's not what I was in for.

She pressed on things and had me walk and asked me questions. She said my feet pronate or roll in putting pressure on my knees and hips. I always have problems with that when running, so that makes sense. She told me to concentrate on walking smoothly and straight instead of letting my hips swing side to side, and showed me how to engage my muscles in my pelvis before I move.

I also got this chastity belt-type thing that straps tightly around my hips and cups my belly. It is a bit itchy and not entirely comfortable, but it does seem to help to stabilize my hips. They have felt pretty good today with the changes.

The PT also told me I shouldn't run anymore. Bummer. I really haven't in about a week, but I was hoping to keep it up a bit longer. In the last pregnancy I ran up until the end. But, things are a little looser this time around, so it is not to be. Oh well. The rest will be nice, and it will make me appreciate running more when I am finally baby-free.

-----
PS: I met with a woman today for a charity project. She said she was talking to someone who said, "When is MM going to have that baby already?! She's HUGE!" First of all, I have three months to go and objectively know I am not HUGE. I have gained a perfectly respectable 20 pounds so far. Second, why did she feel the need to say that mean thing? And third, why did the woman feel the need to repeat it to me? Jerks.

--HUGE MM

1 comment:

  1. i think some people might have been born without tact! you are by no means huge!! i'm glad the chastity belt is helping :)

    ReplyDelete