Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Old friends

Being back in the place where I grew up brings back lots of old memories. I feel like if I walked into my high school it would be preserved as I remember it. Instead it would now be filled with kids I don't recognize. I hear of people much younger than me married with kids. I still picture them as freshmen in high school, and the image of them grown up is jarring.

I met up with two friends in the past week. One was a close friend from high school who was my maid of honor. We only see each other about once a year, but from the first moment we are together, it is like no time has passed. The other is a girl I once lifeguarded with. She now has two children ages six and four. I brought my little kiddoes to her house today. We shared memories from our days at the beach and now our experiences as mothers.

I am not the best person at keeping in touch with old friends, but I so appreciate these friendships that last for many years--through high school, college, and far beyond.

--------------------

We have been spending a lot of time with my sister and her four boys. They are ages six and under. With all six boys in one place, it is often a zoo. I don't know how my sister does it. My two babies exhaust me, and just being around her brood is enough to tire out anyone. T and I talk about having four babies, but sometimes I wonder if I can really do it. I don't know if I share my sister's endless energy.

This week our big crew went to a kids' museum and a beach. I put a bikini on for the first time since having baby R almost three months ago. I spent the day trying to suck in my stomach.

Yesterday, we diligently attempted to get a picture of all six grandsons. There was a great deal of squirming and whining, but we did get a few cute ones.


Tomorrow is the last day of our visit. We fly home Friday, and I am back to work Monday. This has been a very enjoyable trip, mostly I think because it is so laid back and unplanned. It is a nice way to end my maternity leave before reality rears its ugly head.

--MM

2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of boys! :)

    I can't believe it's already been three months. A bikini?! You rock.

    And, not to slight you one minute on your maternity leave, but I'm glad you're going back to work. They need you. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,
    I wore the bikini...I didn't say I looked good in it!

    And thanks. It will be good to be back to work, and it is nice to be needed.

    -MM

    ReplyDelete