Thursday, June 5, 2008

Backing the breast

An advice column I saw in the paper today really bothered me. A woman wrote in to "Ask Amy" saying her daughter-in-law would not respect her wishes to breastfeed her baby in private at family gatherings. The woman said even if her daughter-in-law covered up, it was not appropriate.

This really bothered me as a woman who often breastfeeds in public. I always cover up, mostly because I am self-conscious, but don't feel like I should have to. And in this instance, the woman was not even in public. She was in her mother-in-law's home and just wanted to be part of the conversation and not banished to the back room.

What is offensive or gross about breastfeeding? It is the most natural thing in the world. We are mammals for god's sake. It is more strange to feed our babies cow's milk, if you think about it. You don't see bears feeding their cubs sheep milk or something. It is not sexual or ugly. Also, you never can perfectly predict your baby's schedule. When he is hungry, he lets you know. Should you just let him scream in hunger while you wait to find an isolated location?

I am so proud of myself for breastfeeding despite the challenges. I know it is the best choice for my children, so I am willing to make the sacrifices. This woman should be celebrated and congratulated for persevering rather than being made to feel ashamed by her own family. I thought it was especially poignant that the offensive incident happened on Mother's Day.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment