Monday, April 28, 2008

Trainspotting

Q loves all things motorized, be it trains, boats, cars or planes. This weekend we went to the Railroad Park to indulge one of his interests. It is made up of old rail cars, toy trains, and even a mini-train you can ride. It was a beautiful day, so the park was PACKED. The line to ride the little train had hundreds of people, so we decided to skip it. Q enjoyed walking around the train cars though and watching the model trains go around the tracks. We will have to go back to actually ride the rails.

Though his toddler tantrums make me want to pull my hair out on a daily basis, little trips like these are what I love. He is getting to the age where he really appreciates things, and we delight in watching him experience them. He is a little boy through and through. We are excited about an upcoming event called "Touch a Truck" at the county fairgrounds. If it is a cool as its name implies, he is in for a treat!


Q decided to touch an SUV this morning. The door to the garage was open, and Q was out there rattling around. He eventually came in and proudly displayed to me to grease-covered arms! T went to investigate and discovered Q was placing refrigerator magnets inside the exhaust pipe of our car. I'm no mechanic, but that can't be good.

R and I are getting a little more in sync. I read extensively about how to perfect your "latch." And after being really diligent about it, I think R is eating better, and I am not as in pain. I am still sore, but am not bleeding, so we are getting there.

T goes back to work next week. My parents are coming this weekend, and my mom will stay here a few days next week. I am nervous about when T leaves me alone with the little devils, but at least my mom will help me transition.

I think you just have to get used to a lack of control. I like to know what to expect and to keep to a tightly-controlled schedule, but that is just not possible with a newborn and a toddler. Sometimes the baby will demand to eat while you are at a restaurant or spit up on your work shirt. Your toddler can spill his milk, or throw a tantrum, or tamper with your tailpipe! You just never know, and you have to learn to roll with it.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. My mom took Polly to Railroad Park this weekend while I was gone. I can't wait to take her myself.

    I hope you got all the magnets out. It's amazing what they can think of at this age. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete