Friday, April 11, 2008

Baby bliss??

Whoever thinks life with a newborn is like a Pampers commercial is dead wrong. If you are considering having a child some day, you might not want to read this! :)

As I mentioned before, I suffered a terrible tear during birth. I received tons of stitches and have been on laxatives and stool softeners. Even with that, I managed not to poop for four days! Crazy, huh? I think I was too nervous. I have since gone number 2 twice, though it is a slow, painful process. I have trouble sitting down and have now added a hemorrhoid to the mix. Hey, I warned you this wasn't going to be pretty.

So that end of me is all battered and painful. But, the top half isn't much better. R is a strong eater. He latches right on and goes to town. My nipples quickly started to get sore, but by today they were cracked and bleeding. When I finished on one side, I was horrified to see this bloody chunk hanging off me! I called in T and he looked like he was going to throw up. Then R started spitting up blood...from me! Yikes!

We called the lactation consultant at the hospital and our pediatrician's office. When no one returned our calls, and R was getting close to his next feeding, we just showed up to the hospital lactation office. When I unveiled my scabby nipples, she understood my urgency! She determined he was latching on with his lips turned in and his tongue up. She showed me how to get him latched on correctly, and I am using a nipple shield device until they heal. I am all about breast-feeding, but bottles sure look appealing right about now!

Hopefully in a week my poor body will be bouncing back.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment