Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sibling rivalry

I'm not sure Q is exactly excited about being a big brother. He asks where the baby is and gives him nice kisses on the head, but other than that he is not too enthused about someone edging into his spotlight. Q has had several breakdowns in the last week that left him gasping for air at the end. He also is hitting quite often; me, T, and even poor little R.

We have been getting into a rut where I take care of R while T tends to Q. It's almost like we each have our own child, but it makes me sad when Q reaches for T first. I have been trying to make an extra effort to spend more time with him. Q walked over while I was nursing on the couch and ran away crying. Poor little thing. It's a big adjustment for all of us.

Physically and mentally, I am feeling much better. My stitches are improving though going to the bathroom is still a monumental effort. Breast-feeding is getting slightly better. I now have a prescription cream and special pads and shells. The poor mangled things are healing little by little.

Today was a wonderful respite for all of us. Our childcare provider took Q for five hours. They played hard together and Q was worn out. T and I went to lunch and got cappuccinos. I had this wonderful grape and brie cheese pizza. We went to the farmer's market and then picked out scrapbook stuff for R. It is MUCH easier to do that stuff with a dozing newborn rather than a loud, wriggly toddler.

This afternoon we all took naps, but Q unfortunately woke up first. He found a bottle of foot powder and dumped it all over himself, our bed, and most of the upstairs. I came up to find T and R asleep in the midst of this white blanket of powder with a sickeningly sweet smell hanging in the air. Not a good idea to let toddlers explore unsupervised.

Tonight we spent sometime watching a tractor in the yard behind us. Q was transfixed. It was precious.

--MM

2 comments:

  1. yeah, it's traumatic when you have your happy life and *boom* they surprise you with a sibling. Darn younger sisters, I mean brothers! Glad to hear your feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My life was changed forever when my brother was born. I was two years old and very evil... I bit people who held him and cried all the time because nobody would hold me. I mostly grew out of it. But there are still moments.

    I have a friend who had a similar experience when her second daughter was born. The nastiness turned out to be a phase, of course... but she found that giving her older daughter something to do to help the baby -- a job only she could do -- made her feel like she was more important and cut back on the acting out. Of course, it's hard to reason with a kicking, screaming toddler, so it doesn't work every time.

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete