Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Distractions

T and I are fascinated by a new series on PBS called "Carrier." It follows life on board the USS Nimitz. It is amazing the access the producers got. They follow the lives of the more than 5,000 people on the aircraft carrier heading toward the Persian Gulf. They touch on things as sensitive as doubts about the war, rape, and homosexuality and cover seemingly mundane things like sleeping arrangements, cliques, and meal choices. It is just incredibly intriguing. It is a 10-hour series airing on PBS right now. I highly recommend watching it if you get the chance.

I have also been reading a lot especially during the long hours at night when R and I are the only ones awake. I just buzzed through a James Patterson novel in two days that was pretty entertaining. It is called "The Quickie" and though it is a bit like the literary equivalent of fast food, sometimes you just crave the taste of french fries, you know? I also finished a slightly more intelligent book called "Then We Came To the End." It is sort of the like "The Office" in book form and will strike a chord with anyone in the working world. I am now just starting Jennifer Weiner's latest book. I'm sure I will get in some good hours of reading tonight whether I like it or not.

--MM

2 comments:

  1. How are you finding time to read?! :)

    I almost picked up the new Jennifer Weiner book at the airport... but I got a different one instead. Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am currently nursing a good four hours a day, which is practically like a part-time job! I wish I were being paid! There is only so much you can stare at the wall or your lucky sleeping husband. So, I read.
    -MM

    ReplyDelete