Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pregnancy pounds

Our society is obsessed with baby bumps and how quickly they disappear afterward. It is a sad thing.

When I was pregnant, I constantly heard comments about how I looked or where I was putting on weight. I gained 35 pounds during each of my pregnancies, but I am also tall so I spread it around a little. Now that I have had the baby, everyone has to comment on how quickly you are bouncing back.

I was talking to a lady today who said she had a friend who wouldn't leave her house until she got back into her size 4 jeans. She just got on the treadmill and wouldn't get off until the weight was gone. Why spend time with your new baby when there is weight to lose, right?

A friend of mine is pregnant now and worried about weight gain. I understand wanting to rein it in, and obviously gaining 80 pounds or something is also unhealthy. But, I figure it is better to err slightly on the side of eating too much rather than over-restricting and depriving your baby.

When I feel myself starting to obsess about the number on the scale, whether I am pregnant or not, I just put it away. It is just not worth it. It is sad that when you are in the process of bringing a new life into the world, the size of your butt is a main focus.

---------------

T has been having some pain in his back and leg. He went to the doctor today and found out he has sciatica, which is very common during pregnancy, and I did have a little pain in that area. I'm glad he gets to experience a taste of the discomfort. Now if only he would get a hemorrhoid.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. Some people think their weight definse them and there is glory in gaining the least amount of weight during pregnancy... but that can be so dangerous for the baby. I think it's selfish, personally.

    LOL at the hemmorhoid comment. :)

    ReplyDelete