Saturday, April 19, 2008

"Helpful" big brother

Q is regressing. He throws little crying fits and wants to be carried everywhere. That's part of the reason T got his sciatica, because Q is getting heavy! He wants to sit in our lap to eat and does not like when baby R is getting all the attention. Poor little guy. I am trying to make sure he gets lots of one-on-one time. We sit with him and read, take him to the park, and tonight I sat with him for 20 minutes in the hall tossing around plastic bags as he giggled.

A mother of five advised me to ask Q to help with the baby by handing me a diaper or a hat. We asked Q to get out a diaper for R, and he happily complied, pulling the tiny diaper out and handing it to his dad. We praised him for being a great helper. That pleased him very much, and so he proceeded to pull out diaper after diaper. When I asked him to put them back, he dumped them in the garbage. A big help.

------------------

I tend to take many things in my life for granted like my good job, my health, my nice home. I usually just complain about them. But, lately I have been realizing I have a pretty great husband. I have had a few conversations lately with other women that have made me appreciate him. We split everything so equally. We make decisions together and both completely share the care of our children. He tells me I am beautiful even when I feel disgusting. He is supportive and loving. He listens when I am having a rough day, or week, or month. I hear about some painful marriages, and I realize I am pretty lucky. The challenge of introducing a new, tiny, helpless person into our lives coupled with the antics of the older child is just bringing us closer.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment