Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Slowing down

Things are settling down in my world after a few hectic days. T and I had a family friend come over Sunday night to watch Q and then dropped Ruby off at another friend's house. We then headed north to the state capital. We arrived at 7:30, got a bite to eat, and went to bed.

The next day was a looooong day of covering the legislative session. I felt a little light-headed a few times and had to sit down. Not a good sign. It was a fun day, especially since T and I rarely get to work together like that any more. We had some technical issues late in the day trying to get our live shots working and get our material fed back. That was extremely frustrating, but we did the best we could on our end, and that's all you can really do.

We drove back Monday night and arrived just before 11. I then had to work on my story for the next day, so it was a late night. My back was hurting and my eyelids were heavy by 1:45 a.m.

Then this morning was swimming lessons. It was a monumental effort to pull my suit on and get out the door with a squirmy little boy.

T and I really missed Q. It was weird not to have him in the car and toddling around our motel room and throwing food in the restaurant. When we got home, I had to ease him up out of his crib and squeeze him and smell his baby smell. This afternoon he was ridiculously cute insisting on wearing a stalking cap and paging through upside-down books.

We started with our new child care provider in our home today, and though it is always a bit awkward on that first day, it was wonderful to drive eight minutes to work instead of across town. T and I also drove straight home for dinner, cutting a huge amount of drive time out of our day. Anything to make the day less hectic is good for me.

We are listening tonight to the Super Tuesday results and monitoring them online. A guy I work with is from Egypt and just became a citizen a year and a half ago. This will be his first election to vote. He is fascinated by the process and asks many questions. It is interesting to find out just how much you really don't understand. Why do some states have caucuses and others primaries? Which are winner-take-all and which divide their delegates? When will a nominee be chosen? It demonstrates how complicated and crazy the process is. There must be an easier way. But, seeing him excited and enthusiastic about it makes me appreciate the madness a bit more.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. I find the election process to be fascinating, too... and I've been voting since I was 18. It's interesting to see it from a different perspective, though.

    Good luck with the new day care provider! It's nice to have a shorter commute. Gives you a little extra Q time!

    ReplyDelete