Monday, February 11, 2008

Sad news

A neat story I did last month did not end quite how I hoped. I was assigned to do a story on senior citizen couples who could provide lessons in love. One couple I profiled was married for 72 years and have known each other since they were in elementary school. The others were newlyweds at the ages of 89 and 90.

Both couples were extraordinary, still deeply in love, holding each others' hands and looking dreamily at each other. The story turned out to be very touching and sweet. It was set to air this Thursday on Valentine's Day.

Then today, we got a message that the 90-year-old newlywed had died. They had only been married a month. How depressing. T called the widow to see how she felt about us still airing the story as a tribute to their love. She agreed and said she "had lost the love of her life." I am glad she doesn't mind sharing their story, though I imagine it will be painful to watch.

The news put a damper on my day. I have the hardest time shaking depressing thoughts like that. They just kind of cloud my thinking and bring me down. My poor, fragile hormone-washed brain can't take this kind of thing!

--MM

3 comments:

  1. Was the the guy who said he hoped they would be married eight more years? Oh, that's so sad! It was a great story, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,
    Yes it was. Sad, huh? But they were such a neat couple, and she seemed at terms with it.
    --MM

    ReplyDelete