Friday, February 8, 2008

Child care heaven and BPA hell

I have been on time or even early every day this week. It is some kind of miracle. My frazzled existence from before has just evaporated. Our new child care arrangement is working beautifully. Our child care provider arrives with her little son shortly after 2:00 p.m. and after we chat a bit, I leave and get to work by 2:30.

If Q is napping, I can let him sleep instead of jarring him awake, slapping a clean diaper on him, and throwing him in his car seat for the race across town. If he is having a late snack, he can peacefully eat in his chair when I leave. My usual 30-minute drive to day care and then work is now a straight eight-minute shot to the station. Before, lights, construction, or chatty neighbors could easily slow me down, but now I am out the door and walking into work with little stress.

The miracle of it all, is that this arrangement is actually cheaper. Why didn't we do this before? They go to the park or to the mall playground and on walks. Q seems to get a lot of individual attention. A part of me is waiting for the other shoe to drop. Will she change her mind? Will we be left in the lurch? I guess we'll worry about that when the time comes.

A recent report has me worried about plastic baby bottles and the chemicals they leach into milk. I searched online for BPA-free bottles and found them either sold out or very expensive. So much to worry about, so little time.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. nothing like getting a whole extra hour each day! That's why I can never understand folks that commute LONG ways if they can help it...saving that time is very valuable to me!

    ReplyDelete