Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Dog park disaster


Rudy went to the dog park for the very first time this weekend. As you can see from the picture above, it was ill-fated.

We were so excited about the trip. I have never been a dog person, but I always thought it would be fun to go on walks and to the dog park. You just can't do that with a cat.

We went for a 2.6 mile walk beforehand, and Ruby kept up like a champ. She was even pulling on her leash. I think I was the dead weight on the expedition.

Then we excitedly went in the dog park gates. We unleashed the hound ready for her to frolic and play with the other dogs. She was immediately surrounded by the other big dogs and bullied. She rolled over on her back as they prodded and sniffed her. One of the large, white beasts pictured above started nipping at her. The owner of the behemoth insisted she was "just playing." It did not look like that to me or to poor tiny Ruby. The big, mean dog was chewing her back. We scooped up our tiny, shivering pup and hurried out of there. Sigh. Such a letdown. Dog bullies.

However, some good news to report. I receive my three boxes of Girl Scout cookies tomorrow. I predict they don't make it through the week.

--MM

3 comments:

  1. I always worry less about the dogs than owners at the park. As it is, when I take my dog places, she is on a short leash, because I don't want her scaring people or doing something crazy. but folks have no problem letting their (unleashed) dogs jump all over her - she even gives it about 5 minutes before the evil growl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the dog park. It doesn't help that I'm just not a dog person... but it smells and people there are kind of rude.

    I have two GSC boxes sitting in my kitchen. They call to me, but so far, I have resisted them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just read this-I was talking about folks even outside the park who are just clueless.

    ReplyDelete