Sunday, May 3, 2009

Edge of sanity

How can children be so wonderful and so trying at the same time? They provide moments of sheer joy and overflowing love and others of utter frustration and stress.

On Friday the kids were conspiring to drive me insane and nearly succeeding. On the eve of his third birthday, Q is a bright, energetic, funny little guy, but he is also stubborn, obstinate, and frustrating at times. R is already showing a deviant side by crawling at top speed toward whatever is dangerous to him. My day is completely taken up by making food for children, cleaning up after them, and chasing them around the house. And of course taking the dog out and picking up her poop. (Or cleaning it off the rug more often than not)

Staying home and taking care of two little children all day is starting to drive me slightly batty. How do you long term stay-at-home moms do it? I am impressed by you on a daily basis.

Thankfully, my sanity is restored once T returns home, and I steal a short break. I am still looking for more working hours but clearly this in not the ideal economy for that goal. Weekends are my salvation. Today I got a manicure, and we went to the farmers market. Later we picked up items for Q's third birthday party on Sunday and all went for a run.

If I ruled the world, weekends would be five days and workweeks two. Who's with me?

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment