Thursday, May 28, 2009

Why Jon and Kate Fascinate

I mentioned the television show Jon and Kate Plus Eight in my previous post and a friend commented on how she shared my fascination with it. I have never watched the show much and actually avoided it. I found it sort of dull and didn't feel it was necessary to hear other children throw tantrums when I had the real-life experience at home. Lately though, I find myself sort of intrigued by the program, and I'm not sure why.

Now the family is flawed. Now they are struggling with possible infidelity and a crack in their happy exterior. And their hardship is played out for all the world to see. Maybe it is the voyeurism of watching an imperfect marriage straining at the seams. Maybe it is because watching them makes me feel like I am better off and superior in some way. I am not entirely sure, and I am not exactly proud of being fascinated about their situation.

My husband finds the program irritating and does not remotely understand my interest. He also doesn't get why I look forward to receiving my Us Weekly and curiously page through recent celebrity meltdowns and indiscretions.

I don't dedicate vast amounts of time to following the latest exploits of Britney Spears or Angelina Jolie. Mostly, I find that sort of news vapid and dull. I like to think of myself as a (mostly) intellectual person. But perusing a few Us Weekly articles while watching the season premiere of a reality TV show is like a good gossip session. It is candy for the brain. You don't want to overindulge, but a little taste now and then can't hurt. Right?

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment