Saturday, January 31, 2009

Snow babies

The boys are adjusting to Wisconsin winter, and so is their mama. I grew up in Wisconsin of course, and lived in Iowa for a couple years, but I have never been a fan of cold weather. I would live in Arizona or Miami if I could. But weather isn't the most imporant factor, and a good job, a fun city, and close family are winning out.

My mom comments on my thin coat and lack of socks. In the mild Southern Oregon weather we just didn't need the multitudes of warm clothing. The boys were unprepared. Yesterday we went on an expedition and found snow pants, boots, hats, mittens and coats. This morning after breakfast, we methodically dressed the boys head to toe until they resembled brightly-colored miniature Pillsbury doughboys. Then Papa took them out into the snow. R held his breath and looked alarmed in his light-blue, fur-trimmed snow suit. Q screamed to be picked up and walked cautiously in the several inches of snow. He eventually took to it and enjoyed throwing snowballs with Papa. I quickly ventured outside to snap a few pictures and then watched from the windows. It is truly a whole new adventure.

My sister G lives an hour away with her husband and four sons ages six and under. Three of her boys came over yesterday, and Q found a buddy. One cousin is about nine months older. They were attached at the hip the rest of the afternoon and held toddler conversations about going up high on planes and making dinner. It was wonderful and made me happy we are here.
I am starting to get a little bored though. I just feel weird. It feels like I am on vacation, but I won't be returning to Oregon. I have very little looming responsibility so I feel sort of lost. I don't have a car of my own here, and I am trying to figure out my routine in the midst of my parents'. It's strange. I feel self-conscious when Q throws a tantrum in front of my mom or when I take a nap in the afternoon. I have to ask to borrow the computer or car. This afternoon I was going a little stir crazy, so I borrowed my dad's Cadillac and went in search of coffee. I got lost on the way home, and when texting my husband didn't work, I called my parents and got directions.
It will be nice when T gets here, and we can take advantage of built-in babysitters. For now, I am trying to enjoy the stocked wine cellar, excellent meals, and complete workout room. At least there are perks in this limbo.
--MM

1 comment:

  1. R looks like that kid from "A Christmas Story" in that pic who can't get up because of his snowsuit. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete