Monday, January 12, 2009

Rowdy nights

Q is having a hard time lately, and it is painful for all of us. Usually only T has to deal with the nightly frustration, but on the weekends I get to partake. Q has no interest in going to sleep in his bed, and the best we can hope for is for him to doze off on the ground. Lately, he hasn't even wanted to do that. He screams and cries and almost seems to panic. T usually caves and lets him come downstairs and lie on the couch or get in our bed. We have spent several nights crammed into our full-size bed with at least one cat at the foot of it. We really need to get at least a queen-size bed.

I feel we need to nip it in the bud, because right now he knows if he carries on enough, he will get his way. I was determined to stick to my guns, but last night it was tough. We got him all ready for bed, and then gated him in to his room. He started crying and screaming and pleading to be let out. He looked so sad and angry, and I just wanted to rescue him. It was actually almost physically painful. He stopped crying temporarily but started up again. I read him a book over the gates and tried to soothe him. He finally relaxed, and so did I. Tonight was much quicker and smoother. Sometimes doing what you know is right feels awful.

--------------------------

This weekend I had two goodbye gatherings. One was a breakfast with a few girls from work and the other was a dinner with the people I teach group exercise classes with. They were so enjoyable and touching. I always feel a little shy and awkward at gatherings like that. I question what makes me deserve them. Still it meant a lot and brought home our pending departure.

-MM

1 comment:

  1. slip Q a mickie?! Oh wait, CPS doesn't allow that anymore. Sorry to hear your frustration - of course, I let the dogs sleep with me last night because they were crying, so I'm a pushover (at least we have a queen bed - good mattress sale at Sears right now, BTW).

    ReplyDelete