Thursday, January 1, 2009

New year, new state

We will end 2008 in Oregon, and spend 2009 in Wisconsin. Our changes have changed. A few weeks ago, we thought we were headed to Napa, California. Now we know we are heading to Madison, Wisconsin.

Most people I tell this to say, "What? That's too bad." But Wisconsin is where I grew up. It's where my mom and dad and sister and brother-in-law and four nephews and best friend live. And Madison is a cool town. I am excited about the change. For once we can spend a weekend with family and invite relatives to R's first birthday party rather than bored but kind friends. Q and R will get to play and grow up with their four little cousins. It's great!

I haven't lived in Wisconsin in 12 years. I went away to college, moved farther away for my first job, and then across the country for my second. This will be a drastic change, but a welcome one.

We still have our house here in Oregon, and I am not optimistic it will sell any time soon. We plan to move in with my parents temporarily and then maybe rent in Madison for awhile. I am still not sure where my future will take me. I can easily stay in TV news in Madison, or I could try staying home with the kidlings, or try something else. So much freedom actually makes me a little uneasy. What do I want to do? What if I make the wrong decision? Will I pull my hair out staying with my parents? Do I clean their house for them? Do I make meals for all of us?

I am planning on flying solo to Wisconsin with the boys at the end of January. T will follow driving with the two cats and dog. My poor parents will go from their peaceful existence as a couple in their spotless house, to a ramshackle existence with four adults, two young children, two cats, and a semi-potty-trained dachshund. My poor meticulous mother.

2008 was filled with excitement and frustration. A new baby set my heart soaring but work often had me dragging. 2009 holds a lot of unknown and a lot of promise. I guess that's all you can ask for.

Happy New Year!

--MM

4 comments:

  1. I am thrilled with the change! I already checked out flights and can't wait to visit in a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has there been a parade planned in downtown, yet? Madison needs to get on the ball!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, that is exciting news! I'm so glad you'll get to be closer to family. I DO have a contact who worked news in Madison, if you would like to talk to her. I hear that's a great city!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and are you going to keep working here for now?

    ReplyDelete