Wednesday, January 28, 2009

On solid ground

I did it. Now I believe I can do anything. I flew by myself cross-country with a baby and a two year old. It wasn't easy, but I did it.

It was tricky packing because we will stay with my parents for a few months and then move to a temporary place. I had to pack short term and long term. And I didn't exactly plan ahead. I did it here and there and finished up last night.

This morning, I got up at 4:00 a.m. and finished up a few things, and then we woke up the boys at 4:45. They were groggy and confused. We got them changed and packed up and in the car. T got a gate pass to accompany us through security and to the gate. We had our giant double stroller, three suitcases, two car seats, and two carry-ons. Not to mention myself and the two little ones.

Things started off badly. Some airport workers taxied us out to the plane with a little golf cart. Q was adamant about getting on the plane immediately. He screamed and cried and collapsed in his classic toddler way. I dragged him into the golf cart and put R on my other knee. I had a bad feeling.

Things improved though. They boys were far from perfect, but they could have been much worse. We had two flights with a short layover in Denver. T had his own seat and R wriggled on my lap. Q only had one major meltdown right before we landed in Wisconsin. He screamed "No!" repeatedly for what felt like an hour when I tried to put his cars away and close his tray table. He was just so tired. I felt relatively calm and in control though. I figured what is the worst that can happen? And I knew I could handle even that.

It was interesting to see people's reactions. Many people gave me odd looks, as I wheeled the giant double stroller around the airport, though it folds down into a manageable size. I depended on people to help when I got the boys out and collapsed the stroller, and only men about my dad's age offered their assistance. I always handed them baby R as I did what I needed to do. Other people walked right by or even shot me a strange look. It was an interesting cultural experiment. Older men wanted to help, women didn't. When T traveled alone with just one child, people were falling all over themselves to help.

So now I am in Wisconsin. It is very snowy here but not as painfully cold as I expected. Q is in heaven with his Grandma and Papa. I am still figuring out exactly how my life will be here, but so far I am comfortable. T is back in Oregon for several weeks.

And so begins our next chapter...

--MM

1 comment:

  1. Whew - that was exhausting just reading it. I used to see the Army "wives" (mostly) dealing with the 2+ kids, bags to move overseas, strollers, a pet or two, etc. n their own - because spouse was already in Germany - and thought, no way, no how, I couldn't do it!

    ReplyDelete