Monday, July 21, 2008

All's not fair

A county fair is not the best place for a vegetarian for a number of reasons. First, I do not understand the whole FFA and 4-H experience. These kids get so close to their animals that they become more than pets. They name them, feed them, bathe them, blow-dry their fur, and then send them off to slaughter. Why would you want to set yourself up for such heartache? I haven't even met or cared for livestock, and I still don't want to eat it.

We stopped in the meat goat barn and watched some judging. I admired the cute little goats and their proud middle-school handlers. And then felt physically ill thinking about them being killed and eaten. We walked out of there and into the beef barn. Same issue. I distracted myself by asking Q what sounds cows make. He dutifully belted, "Moo!" Still sad.

We encountered more problems in the food aisle. There is sausage, chicken, chicken-on-a-stick, sausage-on-a-stick, burgers, hot dogs, but not a lot of tofu. I did satisfy myself with a funnel cake and marionberry lemonade. They were quite tasty I must say. Q was tall enough this year to go on three rides. I felt like barfing after accompanying him on the carousel. I hope by the time he is tall enough for the death drop, he can go alone.

We finished the day in the pavilion for prize-winning art, baked goods, and vegetables. Finally, a place where a vegetarian can feel at home at the fair.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. yeah, nothing like meat on a stick when the critter is in the barn next to you. I agree on the FFA/4H thing. Can't quite get it.

    ReplyDelete