Monday, November 26, 2007

A little brother


Q is going to have a baby brother. We found out the news today during our 20-week ultrasound. This will be the sixth grandson in my family, without a granddaughter to be found.

In all honesty, I had a twinge of disappointment when I found out Q was a little boy. I thought of boys as dirty and stinky and didn't know much about them at all. The dirty and stinky part did turn out to be true, but there is much more to them. This time I was excited to hear another boy is in our future. I picture Q and the little one being best buds and discovering lots of badness to get into together. Although the new baby looks quite alien-like, it was wonderful to see his face today and know a little more about him.

Q came six weeks early, so this time my pregnancy will be monitored for any signs of premature labor. That began today with a cervical ultrasound. If you have never had one of these, just keep your fingers crossed you never will. It consisted of a long, large curling iron type device being prodded where you would rather it not go. Everything was the right length thankfully, so far so good. I can look forward to more of that unpleasantness over the next 20 weeks.

It was a day of appointments, and today we also met with the people who will be working with Q because of his delayed walking. A therapist will visit our house on Wednesday to begin the first session. She also wants to get Q's hearing checked in case there is a problem there. Q has been taking several steps lately, so I am convinced he is just marching (slowly) along to the beat of his own drummer, but all this free extra help can't hurt, I suppose.

--MM

3 comments:

  1. curling iron WHAT? WHERE? now, this is why I avoid pregnancy at all costs. though I could swoop in, have a girl, and be the favorite :-) So, now that I have my 2030 packers offensive starting line complete, we need to work on that walking thing, Q. Sure, if you get huge, you can be center, but you still have to walk out onto the field. Those defensive linemen will not be nice if you crawl out to the ball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Q will love having a little brother!

    And you're right about the curling iron cattle prod thingy. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete