Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Flu shots and fussy kids

I got a flu shot at my prenatal appointment yesterday. I relaxed my arm and readied myself for the stick. It wasn't so bad. It never really is, but as the nurse was doing it she says, "Oh sorry! Ouch!"

"Why are you saying 'Ouch'?" I said.

"I don't know. I can't help it. It's just a reaction," she said. Not the best reflex to have as a nurse is it?

Shots have never bothered me very much. I have had a tattoo, a belly button piercing, and a total of eight ear piercings in my misguided youth. Several of them I did myself. All have since been removed except for one modest piercing in each ear. But all of that was much more painful than a simple shot. Not to mention child birth and four marathons. I still am not a fan of dental exams of any sort or pap smears. They just never become fun. Ever.

I had lunch today with a friend who has two sons ages 2 1/2 and 1. They are usually pretty good little boys, and Q is the bad one by comparison. Not today. We attempted to go to lunch, and her little guys were throwing fits. She was very calm through it all, even as it was stressing me out. It made me slightly afraid to add another baby to the mix. Too late to rethink it now though! Next week I am making our fussy brood lunch in the privacy of my home.

Speaking of the impending child, I am having a lot of cramping tonight or maybe Braxton-Hicks contractions? I didn't have them last time. Whatever it is, I don't like it. It makes me worry I will go into even more premature labor than I did with Q at 34 weeks.

--MM

2 comments:

  1. Better than what my nurse said when she gave me the flu shot and half of it ran down the (outside of) my arm -- "oh spit" (sounds like). Nice. I almost passed out. Hope the contractions went away - that thought almost made me pass out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I cannot handle needles and shots. I am often suprised that I was able to survive two pregnancies.

    ((I also somehow managed to survive getting a tattoo))

    ReplyDelete