Monday, November 5, 2007

Could be worse

Q and I went to a play date this morning with some friends. We met at kids' wonderland that has several rooms of toys for various age groups. As usual, I spent much of the time chasing Q and rescuing him from tight spots or battles with other babies. Then a dad came in with his three-year-old triplets. I quickly stopped feeling stressed. I just don't know how parents of multiples do it. I don't know how the mother carries all those squirmy things in her belly. I don't know how they wash that many clothes, change that many diapers, and wrangle that many car seats.

I have watched a few episodes of John & Kate Plus Eight on Discovery Health Channel, and I just get stressed out watching them. They had a set of twins, and then when they decided to expand their family, they had sextuplets. Yikes. The poor woman's post-pregnancy belly was like a folded up paper bag until she got a tummy tuck. If you have fewer than eight kids and are ever feeling overwhelmed, just catch an episode. Every diaper change and snack time is a grueling endeavor.

Q has taken to squealing and thrashing around whenever I have the nerve to change his diaper. Today as he was throwing a fit in the bathroom, I was thinking, at least I don't have two to do. And then I realized, I will have two in just a few months. Oh well. At least it's not eight.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. I love Jon & Kate - you're right, I feel exhausted after watching it. That's why I stick with critters - no diapers!

    ReplyDelete