Thursday, April 2, 2009

Home base

We have finally found a place to live. It is not exactly what I pictured, but it is has a lot going for it.

I had my heart set on a large, inexpensive condo downtown, so we could just walk to coffee in the morning and stroll the city blocks. We found that this just doesn't exist. The condos and apartments are exorbitantly expensive and often tiny and most are anti-dog. So we looked at houses, apartments, flats, duplexes, and condos all in and around Madison. I was getting frustrated when the house looked a lot crappier in person than in the picture or when the perfect house was not available till Fall. Or pets weren't allowed. Or the apartment was in a bad part of town. Or it was a block from the fraternity houses. Or it didn't have any parking.

We even found an ideal home with three bedrooms and a den across from a park. It even allowed dogs. The problem? No cats. Very frustrating.

Today we signed a lease on a lovely, large townhouse. It is three floors with a large den/playroom upstairs. The boys will share a room, and we will put all their toys and my treadmill upstairs. It is actually in a suburb of Madison and will be a bit of a drive, but we are thrilled to have a place to finally call home. We move next week.

I also had an audition today for a group exercise instructor position. These interviews are different than your average business interview. You actually have to teach a mock class to the interviewer. It is a little unnerving to stand next to this extremely experienced instructor and say, "OK, stand up tall, knees slightly bent, breathing deep...etc." But once the music started, I got into my groove and enjoyed being back in that element.

I have taught classes for more than ten years now. It started in college when I was a freshman taking tons of aerobics classes. I decided I could do that and maybe better than they were. So, I signed up for a class to learn to teach classes and have been doing it ever since. I was putting together my resume for the position today and was surprised by my depth of experience without even really trying. I was always working so hard to fill out my resume for broadcasting and this side job just sort of came along with it. It is certainly serving me well now though, so I am appreciative I made that move as a 19-year-old college freshman.

Today's developments are easing some of my anxiety over this state of limbo. I feel like I have some solid progress. I am confident I will get the instructor position and have another interview next week. We now have a place to live and are looking into childcare providers for a few hours a week.

Things are finally coming together.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on finding a place! And good luck with the instructor position. Hopefully you get that and maybe will alleviate some of your worries and give you just enough of something going on without going back full time. The best of both! I'm really looking forward to seeing you all in a week!

    ReplyDelete