Monday, April 13, 2009

Fresh start

Just got back from cleaning up Q's giant barf in his bed. It's always something isn't it?

We returned last night from Boston after spending Easter with T's family. It was a lovely visit. We rode the train to the children's museum to the delight of Q. He was also fascinated with the flight there and back. T's family enjoyed Q's antics and R's smiles. We hunted and dyed Easter eggs and blew bubbles in the backyard. We chatted with T's cousins and caught up with his high school friends. It was great to take a direct flight to our destination and to get there in just a few hours rather than an entire day.

But that is just one perk to our new lives. I am really savoring the start of something new. Many people dread having to set up their routines again. Like finding a new dentist and new friends, learning your way around, and discovering the best coffee shop. I kind of love it.

I'm no stranger to being a stranger. I went away to college and then moved to Iowa for a few years, then Oregon for a few more years, and now back to Wisconsin, hopefully for more than a few years. I do feel a little stressed as I adapt to my new surroundings. Having a GPS unit in the car does help end some of the wandering trips I am prone to. I like reorganizing my things and restructuring my schedule. I feel accomplished as I establish a routine and find a great pediatrician. I experiment with hanging my paintings in a different room and storing the crystal in a more accessible area so we are more likely to use it.

It all just wakes me up a little and gets me excited about my life again. A big change brings anxiety and upheaval, but it also brings opportunity and possibility. I can't imagine staying stagnant in one place and one life for 30 years. Maybe that will happen some day, but for now I am content periodically starting anew.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment