Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Making friends

I went to the first meeting of my new moms group today. It is a Meetup group as was the one I was part of in Oregon. We were supposed to meet at a park, but because of cold, windy, generally crappy weather, we gathered at a coffee shop. It was so nice to compare notes and chat and watch the kids play.

I am a huge fan of moms groups and knew I wanted to join another one. I highly recommend a moms group of some kind to new moms or moms who are new to an area. They are such a nice respite from the monotony of your day and an easy way to form a new network of friends and supporters.

Making friends gets harder the older you get. T and I have left our circles of friends every few years; after high school, college, our first jobs, and our second jobs. We have kept up with them through email, Facebook, and occasional trips, but you always need those friends right down the street or a short drive away. For some reason, men rarely initiate the friendship. So if I want some people to hang out with, I have to go out and find them for the both of us.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment