Thursday, April 16, 2009

Best time of day

Nap time that is. I find that if I get a brief break from my children, I like them more. Is that horrible? Probably, but it is true nonetheless.

Last night I had a CPR class to renew my certification. I need it to teach exercise classes. T was running late to meet me for the start of the 5:30 session, so I lugged the two kiddoes inside to await his arrival. "My husband will be here in like one minute," I told the instructor as I balanced R on my hip and held Q's hand. He was very understanding and even offered the kids an armless, legless, faceless baby dummy to play with, but I thought that would freak them out. T soon whisked the kids away, and I settled in to review CPR basics.

I have been CPR-certified since I was 16, so the material was nothing new, though they have smartly simplified some of their guidelines. Still the hour and forty-five minutes was all my own without a child asking "Why?" or a baby demanding to be held. By the time I went out to the car to meet T, I was feeling refreshed. You just need a little respite during the day. At least I do. So the afternoon nap is a much-anticipated part of the routine.

---------------------------

I landed my first instructor gig. I will be teaching yoga and Pilates twice a week at lunchtime at a corporate regional headquarters. It starts Monday and sounds like it will be simple and fun. The complicated, irritating part is finding childcare. We have met with a couple of prospects and are meeting two more today. Few providers want to take on such a small time commitment. One provider who seemed wonderful wanted a four-hour window at $8.50 an hour. That would result in me paying money to work. It's not like I am expecting this very part-time job to pull in a ton of dough, but I would prefer it not to be a loss. I feel frustrated, because on the face of it, I should just say, 'Forget it. It's not worth it, and I should just stay home and avoid the hassle.' But I need something of my own. I can't go from a full-on career and a side job to absolutely nothing. It is just throwing me for a loop. So I am soldiering on, determined to find a provider who is a good fit and result in me at least bringing in a little money. And protecting my sanity.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment