Monday, August 13, 2007

Vacation post-mortem

I am back home this Monday morning, watching a "The View" re-run waiting for Q to get tired and take a nap, so I can too!

We got in after midnight last night, and I had to get up before 7:00 for yoga this morning. In a nutshell, our trip was fun, but it is nice to be home. Our flights were actually all remarkably smooth which is a rarity lately. Q had a little trouble on a few flights, but for the most part did okay. Our flights were all on time, and every piece of luggage made it.

My high school reunion was more fun than I expected. The girls mostly looked the same. The guys were a bit harrier and fatter. I was proud of how my speech went. After a few cocktails, my nerves mostly faded away, and I got some good feedback. I am pretty happy with where I am and how I look ten years after high school graduation. I like my life much better now than I did then, but isn't everyone angst-ridden in those years?

We were in constant motion for the family reunion part of the trip. We went to a baseball game, the state fair, ran a 5K, went to Discovery World, a big farmers' market in the state capital, got a professional family picture, saw "The Bourne Ultimatum" in this sparkling new dinner theater, went to the zoo, and had lots of gourmet dinners courtesy of my very talented mom.

Q, T, and I all slept in the same room. Q woke us up early every morning by standing up in his crib and calling to us over the end of the bed. It was ridiculously cute, but it is nice to have him back in his own bed.

I was great to see my new nephew, my sisters, my parents and grandparents, and to see all five little boys play together.

Our huge unwieldy group ranging in age from newborn to mid-80's was a source of frustration. I realize I much prefer smaller groups. It's too hard to make a decision in those huge groups, and you just can't please everyone.

One other thing I could have done without was those judgemental little comments so common in my family. I heard a few too many times that Q should be using a fork already, and my hair was a little flat, and I am lucky T takes care of Q so I can go to work. I tried to let it all just sail right by without bothering me, but I think I did make a few snap comments in response.

That's all expected in a family vacation though isn't it? The enjoyment and the irritation wrapped into one. T and I have a long weekend planned for our anniversary next week. That will be our truly relaxing vacation.

We have a meeting with the new boss today. Should be interesting.

Now for a nap.

--MM

3 comments:

  1. It's a good thing T works so hard, too, so you can nap in the morning after teaching yoga ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, how did the speech go?

    Good luck with the new boss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It went well. Thanks for asking. I was nervous of course, but a paragraph or two in and I felt fine!
    --MM

    ReplyDelete