Friday, August 3, 2007

Leaving on a jet plane

I am so ready to get on that plane. It has been an interesting and trying day.

I have one co-worker who is constantly passive aggressive. Our desks are connected, so it is a daily battle. She is just rude and snooty. We were getting ready at the same time in the bathroom today, and I tried to make friendly conversation with her. She gave me one word answers and wouldn't look at me. I called her on it, and she actually apologized. I NEVER call her on it. I was actually kind of shaking when I did it, but I am glad I did. I was being nice. I don't deserve that kind of rudeness. She was sickening sweet to me the rest of the day.

I am a person who does not like confrontation. It makes my heart race and my hands shake. But, besides that little interaction, I also had another confrontation. I disagreed with how we were treating a story concerning the body of a soldier returning from Iraq, and I told my manager how I felt. She disagreed and said she would not change it, but she did say I could ask our new boss (who's above both of us). I have exchanged about three words with this guy. I went into his office with my heart pounding and hands shaking (I'm a wuss), and told him I wasn't comfortable with how we were handling the story. He actually agreed with me and told the other woman to change it. I was so happy I stood up for what I believed.

When those situations usually arise, I tell T and tell him to handle it. He worked overnight and wasn't here during the day, so I was on my own! But, I did it, and made both of us proud. I need to grow a little more of a back bone apparently, but at least I had one today.

I am about half-packed. Our flight leaves in exactly 7 hours and 42 minutes at 6 a.m. I figure I will get about 3 hours of sleep. Not fun, but it sure will be nice to get away from it all for a week!

--MM

3 comments:

  1. Hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the 3 hours of sleep. I don't know why I thought that closing on the house, packing, moving and going out of town at the same time was a good idea. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on your news last night... hee hee.

    ReplyDelete