Sunday, August 26, 2007

Stressful relaxing weekend

So, I'm not going to Argentina. I talked to the head of the selection committee last night, and she said it was very close, but I am not one of the chosen ones.

To backtrack a little, we went on our anniversary weekend on Thursday. We stayed at a beautiful lodge along the Columbia River Gorge in Southern Washington. T and I both got massages shortly after we arrived. My mind was racing, and I felt like I couldn't relax my body, but it was still very enjoyable.

The next day we hiked to the top of a waterfall. We have this new backpack apparatus that a friend gave us to tote Q. I mistakenly thought it would make it easy to carry him. That was not the case. It was ridiculously hard. The hike was a mile up, and I was trying to carry Q the whole way since T hurt his back. I was breathing so hard and my back and legs were aching. T carried him for a bit, and I managed on the way back down. This place right below my hips is now very sore. I can't wait till that kid can walk!

On Friday we also went to some tiny wineries and visited a huge dam up there and saw the fish swimming through the fish ladders. On Saturday, we had to leave early so I could make it to the ill-fated Argentina interview.

It was about a 3 and a half hour drive, and I had a nice sick, nervous feeling the entire way. When I got to the hotel where the interview was held, a woman greeted me in the lobby. Then she led me into the judgement room. It was absolutely the most intimidating interview I have ever had. Fifteen people were seated at tables in a horseshoe shape facing my little table.

When I sat down, the first question was in Spanish. The woman was so far away, and I haven't used my Spanish in a good six years. I couldn't understand her. My heart started beating faster and my stomach felt a little sicker. I asked her to repeat herself, and still couldn't understand all of what she said. I answered what I thought she might have said, but I may have been way off the mark. Another question I didn't do particularly well on involved what all I knew about Argentina. T suggested maybe I should have researched that a bit more. Good point.

They went around the room asking a total of 21 questions. When I left, one interviewee said I did a very good job. Apparently not good enough though.

I nervously waited for the call and heard around 9:00 p.m. last night. I definitely wonder why I wasn't chosen, and why I wasn't good enough. But, to be honest, a huge part of me is relieved. I knew I had to apply because it was ideal for me, but I'd hate to leave my family for a month, and my boss didn't want me to go. Plus, I have something else in the works for next summer, and this would completely get in the way of those plans.

So, I think it is good that I tried. That horrific interview was a good experience because nothing could seem intimidating after that. I put myself out there and gave it my best shot, but things are working out as they probably should.

--MM

5 comments:

  1. At least you tried! and you'll have no regrets.

    Wow, what a breathtakingly beautiful picture. Sounds like you made the most out of your weekend anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for trying, I never would have had the courage! Everything works out for a reason :) It sounds like your weekend was awesome, I hope your hips are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. shoulda scheduled the massage for after the hike from hell. that does sound like a nightmare interview. Sorry you didn't get it. What's in the works for next summer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about the interview, I am sure 2 men in your house are happy you will be sticking around to keep them in line! Can't wait to find out what is in your plans for next summer???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news and bad news. But it sounds like a worthwhile weekend nonetheless.

    Multnomah Falls is one of my favorite spots. And it looks like Q loved the fish!

    ReplyDelete