Friday, January 8, 2010

My little student


Q is now a school boy.

He started at a wonderful little Montessori-style preschool this week. His most difficult prerequisite was potty-training. He is doing so wonderfully with that now, so we signed him up.

He was a bit nervous on the first day. T and I both dropped him off. His little backpack was filled with snow pants, boots, and a spare outfit for any accidents (which he needed the first day). Q insisted on wearing the backpack for the short walk in to school.

After his first three days, he is thriving. He looks forward to each day and chatters about it. The teachers say he is fitting right in.

It seems like a simple thing--just going to preschool and being potty-trained, but it shows he is growing and learning, and it makes me so proud. It also makes me a little relieved that I haven't screwed him up!

I appreciate that I am able to offer him this opportunity. I doubt my parenting skills so often when he is having a tantrum in Target or when I am ignoring his constant queries of "Why?", but this milestone makes me feel like a good mama.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment