Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The second time around

T and I have known we were expecting another little one for about seven weeks but waited till the end of the first trimester to share the news. This time around feels very different for some reason. We were both thrilled to find out, though skeptical as usual. We got pregnant very quickly, and so I bought out the pregnancy tests just to be sure.

I was happy and fulfilled to know another baby was on the way but much calmer. Last time, I didn't know what to expect and was anxious and stressed, but this time I already have all the necessary paraphernalia. There are the expected financial concerns and worries about how we will juggle two babies, but I think it will become natural quickly enough.


One worry I have is that this baby will come early like Q did. I had my first prenatal appointment last week, and while the doctor said that is certainly a risk factor, I will most likely go full-term. I'm sure I will be nervous as the 34th week approaches, but I am optimistic this pregnancy will go better. If I never see the inside of NICU again, I will be a happy woman.


Another difference this time around is how quickly I am fattening up. I don't look pregnant per se. I just have a pot belly. I hate this stage. I am not in maternity clothes yet...just billowy shirts and elastic waistband skirts.


It is strange to look at my sticky little boy as he smears peanut butter in his hair and imagine him as someone's big brother. But, soon enough that will be true!


--MM

2 comments:

  1. That's a rough stage... you start to look and feel kinda bloaty, but you don't actually look "pregnant" yet.

    I bet the second time is a lot more relaxed. At least you have a CLUE of what to expect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betcha CletusII walks before Q!!

    ReplyDelete