Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Faux meat

I have been a vegetarian for about three and a half years. At first, that mainly consisted of nachos and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I have educated myself and learned to prepare tofu and paneer and beans. I had two new types of faux meat this weekend and both were pretty good.

Sometimes, I prefer to just skip the meat substitute and fill up on the side dishes. I tried tofurkey last year, and it was okay, but I'd prefer to just indulge in potatoes and stuffing. For the most part, being a vegetarian has been easy for me. There aren't too many things I miss. I did desperately miss tacos, and when I discovered those wonderful soy crumbles, I almost cried. Really.

I also like hot dogs, but those tofu dogs just weren't cutting it for me. They had an odd texture and didn't have an actual skin on them. I wasn't fooled. T found these non-tofu meatless dogs this weekend. I'm not sure exactly what they are made of, some soy-type thing, but they are delicious! Especially when coated in ketchup and mustard.

I have also come to love Quorn products. They make a lovely gruyere cutlet that even my meat-eating husband loves. That is some sort of microfermented something, that has a meatlike texture. Last night, I made their chik'n nuggets. Dunked in barbecue sauce, they weren't half bad.

People always ask me why I am a vegetarian, and I find myself defending my lifestyle a lot. I absolutely hate that. I had this very overweight girl at my work arguing with me about it, and I wanted to say, "I'd like to recommend you skip a few cheeseburgers," but I held my tongue. I don't force what I do on anyone else. T and Q both eat meat. It is just what feels right and works for me. So, why do people always have to interrogate me?

Three years ago, I decided to try for two weeks to not eat meat. It wasn't difficult, and I really felt proud of myself, so I just kept going. That doesn't mean I will never eat meat again, but right now this works for me. Sometimes I also have people (including my mom) worry about my iron and protein intake. My iron is a bit on the low side, but it always has been. I am just about the healthiest person I know, so I find it laughable when someone who hasn't eaten a vegetable in a week is questioning my diet. I balance my protein, whole grains, and fruits and vegetables, and I exercise at least five times a week. I think I take care of myself admirably, not questionably. So, don't question me about it! ;)


--MM

3 comments:

  1. Amen, seester! I get semi "attacked" on it, as well. I absolutely do not say anything to anyone about what they eat, so I always wonder why they think it's okay to jump on me for not eating meat?! I never demand special foods and usually quietly eat side dishes or bring something I eat to a BBQ (w/ enough for everyone). Here lately, though, I get a little touchy when someone tells me it's "unhealthy."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, why are you a vegetarian? :)

    Do you ever miss bacon? All my veggie friends say that's the one thing they have trouble giving up completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I warned you! ;)

    Kidding. I am a vegetarian because the way meat is produced disgusts me.

    I don't miss bacon. The thing I missed was tacos, but they are back in my life through the glory of soy products. Bacon always kind of grossed me out anyway.

    I also think of it as a matter of discipline. I would like to eat cheese curds and chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream for every meal, but I don't do that. So, I can choose what I eat thoughtfully whether it comes to meat or just bad food in general.

    --MM

    ReplyDelete