Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ode to single mamas

I honestly don't know how single moms do it. T was gone for two days on a last-minute work trip. I was slightly annoyed, because I had to juggle some things around. The hardest thing though is being solely responsible for your child. It sure is nice to switch off dirty diapers and early wake-up calls. I just can't imagine doing it all on my own. I really do think about that a lot every time I get a small taste of parental independence. I don't like it. Even parents whose spouse goes off to war. It would just be incredibly hard.

I was driving around forever yesterday, taking Q to daycare then going to pick up our Community Supported Agriculture box and then into work. I find myself just hating every driver around me. This can not be healthy. I preach to my yoga class about breathing through stress and not letting those things get to you, but I fear I do not practice what I preach. Other drivers are annoying though. Why must they drive so slow? Why must they stop at yield signs?

I had a delightful manicure-pedicure appointment this morning. I look forward to that every few weeks. I get a coffee and cinnamon roll from the coffee shop next door and then indulge in a little pampering. This time, Q had to come along for the entire appointment. This made me extremely nervous. He did a wonderful job though sitting in his stroller and charming old ladies. He spent a lot of time marveling over one of those very real-looking stuffed cats.

Tomorrow is the day my eyes forever change! Being the cynic I am, I keep thinking they will say, "Oh, I'm sorry. You are actually not a candidate. Oops!" So, I am not going to flush my contacts until I am absolutely sure.

--MM

3 comments:

  1. Good luck today and congrats on ditching the glasses! You will have to let me know how it goes, it's my dream to wake up and be able to see....without a pair of super dry contacts still in that I forgot to take out before bed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing that Q was so good for your entire appointment! That's wonderful. There's no way Polly would make it!

    And thanks for the word on single moms. It can be pretty hard at times, but when it's what you do every day, you just make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never know how single parents do it. It's hard enough being a single parent of critters - and I don't have to worry if they'll contribute to society! Good luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete