Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Grandma says no

My mom is a lot like Martha Stewart. She is a great cook, gardens, and is very crafty. She is absolutely meticulous about everything from her gift-wrapping to her housekeeping. She vacuums several times a week and picks microscopic crumbs off the floor.

I like things orderly, but I am far from a neat freak. I tend to clean every two weeks or so or if there is visible dirt. I have been on edge the last month I have lived here making sure no mess is ever left behind.

Q follows my mom around like an obedient puppy. When she is scrubbing a spot off the wall, he has his own rag washing his own unseen spot. When she is vacuuming, Q is running around behind her mimicking her moves.

She is always telling him her particular rules. "Don't put your cup on that table." "You can only drink juice in the kitchen." "Wipe you feet twice before you come inside."

Now he has started repeating her rules to us. Tonight T was eating a cookie at the table without a plate. "Grandma doesn't like that," Q told him.

Q started gathered up my hand lotion and perfume from my bedside table. "Grandma said not on the table."

My mom seems to be enjoying her little rule parrot. I think it's all a little too strange. Now my mom isn't just telling me what to do. My son is telling me what my mom wants me to do!

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment