Friday, February 20, 2009

Death of a plant

It has been a trying day. I feel like I say that every day, but it is usually true. It's not like I am performing brain surgery or anything, but it is still stressful.

I feel a little under the weather and rundown. Baby R was up a couple times overnight and Q was in and out of my bed. My throat hurt this morning, and my entire body was achy. To top it off, I think I may have a clogged or infected milk duct, so one of my nipples is killing me.

Because of all this, I laid down to take a nap when the boys were down for theirs. Q was in my bed but got up and wandered downstairs. Instead of getting my butt up and following him as I should have, I rolled over and fell asleep again, happy for the solitude.

A short while later, I heard scratching and running and squealing from downstairs. I had that sinking feeling as I crept down the steps to see what the boy and dog were up to. I was horrified to find an innocent plant ripped to shreds and strewn about the family room. Dirt and leaves were everywhere. Thankfully, my mom wasn't home so I had time to hide the evidence. It was a giant mess though. One plant was a goner and another was partially gnawed. Q had even unraveled thread and taken buttons and needles (!) from the sewing room. A white towel in the middle of the mess was caked in dirt.

I picked up the big pieces, tossed the towel and Q's socks in the washing machine, locked Ruby in her crate, and sent Q upstairs. I vacuumed in lightning speed cringing at the mess. Just as I was putting the tubes of my mom's universal vacuum back in the closet, she walked in the door.

"Ruby ate a plant!" I told her immediately. She didn't take it too badly, especially considering this is the second plant the tag team has destroyed in three weeks. She was mostly worried about whether Ruby would get sick.

I learned my lesson. Dachshunds and toddlers are not to be trusted together unsupervised.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment