Thursday, February 5, 2009

Grace under pressure

The cockpit recordings were released today of the airliner that landed on the Hudson River last month. They are just stunning. I was amazed to see the landing itself and found it hard to believe that every single person survived.

Hearing the recordings added to my amazement. The pilot known as "Sully" was incredibly calm under pressure. I mean, just ridiculously calm. In an even voice, he said he may have to land in the Hudson. And that he did, saving the lives of everyone on board. I just can't get enough of it. I find it all so impressive and admirable.

Maybe more so, because I often struggle to stay even and calm under pressure. A few days ago, I ventured out in my dad's Cadillac to find some desperately needed coffee. On a side note, I miss the omnipresent coffee houses of the Northwest. They are severely lacking in the Midwestern suburbs. Anyway, the first one I Google-mapped was closed, so I set out into the unknown, driving on random streets until I finally stumbled upon one and procured my beloved triple dry cappuccino. Then, coffee in hand, I was hopelessly lost and out of gas. I filled up and texted my husband repeatedly. Nothing looked familiar and everything did. I was stressed and anxious. I finally called my mom and had her talk me in.

Sully put me to shame.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment