Monday, May 12, 2008

An "active" child

First off, I had a lovely Mother's Day. I accepted my husband's offer to do just about nothing all day and took several naps. We started off the day with a nice breakfast and then went to get Q's two-year-old pictures. We guessed this would not go smoothly, and we were right. He clung to his dad and squealed. We finally managed to get a few good pictures by putting a blanket over his head, saying, "Where is Q??" and then whipping it off. The photographer snapped just as he was laughing. Years from now he will look like a sweet, little angel in his two-year-old pictures, but we will know the truth!

T then took him back to the Railroad Park, so he could ride the little train. Last time there was too long of a line. Q was delighted.

We had a wonderful Mother's Day dinner sans Q. I took R so I could nurse him. It was a price fixe four-course menu. We got a bottle of their cheapest sparkling wine (only the finest for us) and chose our courses.

I had:

-artichoke tart
-mixed greens with blueberries and pine nuts
-spinach-goat cheese ravioli with sage brown butter
-fruit crepes


Yum!! It was one of those dinners T and I kept talking about long after it was over.

-----------------------

This morning Q had his follow up hearing screening. Last time he chattered the whole time, and they couldn't get an accurate reading. The audiologist suggested he come back when he was 2, because he might be calmer. Fat chance.

I was proud of being only five minutes late for the appointment after R peed on himself and Q battled getting his teeth brushed. Then R decided he needed to be fed as soon as we arrived. I nursed him during the screening. Q was supposed to sit quietly on a chair and listen for sounds the audiologist made from speakers on either side of him. She monitored whether he turned in the right direction and how quickly he responded. However, as you probably guessed things did not go as planned. Q sat in his chair for about ten seconds. Then he slid down and rattled around the room playing with a toy tractor. He talked to himself and walked around climbing on things. I was supposed to be silent so he could hear, plus I was feeding the baby so there wasn't much I could do. He did hear things from time to time when he wasn't drowning them out.

Eventually the audiologist came into the booth and acknowledged that it was a fruitless endeavor. I don't think Q has any hearing problems, and she didn't think so either. She said just to contact her in the future if I had any suspicions, and they could actually check his hearing under sedation.

I asked her didn't all two-year-olds behave the same during the screenings? She said Q was quite a bit more active than most but wasn't entirely unusual. At least he's not boring I guess.

-MM

4 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good mom's day. That dinner sounds SO good!

    And there's no way my kid would have sat through that, either. No way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm. That dinner sounds good. you'll have to do like I do w/ the critters at the vet. Sedate them and get everything done at once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mother's Day sounds pretty nice and relaxing, glad you enjoyed :)

    I have to admit, I know it cannot be easy with a newborn and a toddler, but I had a good chuckle reading about Q's (not-so)little personality and reminds me of a certain aunt of his--who turned out quite well if you ask me ;) Good luck and I hope it all gets a little easier!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally--I like that idea a lot! Perhaps sedation for tooth brushing, traveling, doctor's visits!

    Kristen--Uh oh! I hope Q isn't taking after a "certain" aunt! :)

    --MM

    ReplyDelete