Thursday, May 22, 2008

Back to the grind

I returned to work yesterday, but just for a day. I decided before I had the baby that I wanted to work to cover the primary election. Our child care provider watched the boys all day. I got my first experience of trying to get ready with two children instead of one. It wasn't as hard to leave this time as it was the first time I left Q because I am used to it now and fully trust our provider. I managed to be pretty much on time even with stopping at Starbucks on the way.

It felt great to be back at work. Even though it has only been six weeks, I definitely felt a little discombobulated. At times I felt like I was in slow motion. The day went well though, and I felt invigorated when I got home. I realize that working, especially in that job, makes me happiest. Even if it reduces my time with my children, I still think it makes me a better mom overall. Instead of being with them all day but feeling languid and apathetic, I am energized during the hours I am with them. Plus, I am just good at my job, and it makes me feel proud and successful.

It was nice to have that little taste of work but now to be back on maternity leave. I know what I have ahead of me and know this time alone with my kids is precious and finite.

T returned early from his business trip. He got back a day earlier than expected. It was a relief to share the work again. He has a three-day weekend this weekend, and mama is getting a massage! However, a new mom today told me she had a lot of breast milk leak during her massage. That could be awkward.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment